DEDICATED. EXPERIENCED. Providing Innovative Legal Solutions to Complex Personal and Business Tax Matters

Frequently Asked Tax Law Questions

Answers from Our Tax Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale

U.S. and international tax laws are extremely complex and can be difficult to understand, navigate, and adhere to. Quite often, taxpayers are not aware of their rights and obligations. Financial issues can arise that may leave you wondering how to proceed.

At Bucci Law Offices, our Fort Lauderdale tax lawyers are here to guide you down the road ahead. Our goal is always to protect your rights and to find a favorable solution to your tax problem. We’re sure you have a lot of questions about your situation – let us help. Read our FAQ below and be sure to contact us with any further questions.

Reach out to us at (954) 800-2333.

My spouse made errors I was unaware of on a jointly filed tax return – will I get in trouble for this?

You could be held accountable unless you successfully request innocent spouse relief. The IRS grants relief to any spouse who was not responsible for incorrectly filed or unfiled taxes. If you are granted this form of relief, you will not be held responsible for any interest or penalties. There are a few different types of relief for spouses who filed jointly. We encourage you to discuss your situation with us so we can determine if you may be eligible for relief.

I’m unable to pay my tax debt – what are my options?

The IRS is aware that some people are not in a financial position to fully pay back all of their owed tax debt at once. If you are in this situation, you have a few options. You could submit an offer in compromise, which is an offer to discharge your debt for less than what you owe. You may also be eligible for a payment plan (also called an installment agreement). This plan will allow you to pay your debt in monthly installments that are in line with your financial ability.

I’m being audited by the IRS, can you help?

Yes, we offer representation to individuals and businesses who are being audited. Audits have the potential to expose you to penalties, fines, and back tax liability. Our tax attorneys can protect your rights and walk you through an “eggshell audit,” taking careful steps to minimize the chances of escalating the audit to a full-blown criminal investigation.

I received notice that my passport could be revoked. What should I do next?

The IRS has the right to pass your information onto the U.S. State Department, which can revoke your passport if you have failed to pay tax deficiencies. It is important to act fast – our tax attorneys can assess your situation and determine the best course of action moving forward. We may be able to request innocent spouse relief, submit an offer in compromise, or request an installment agreement/payment plan.

I have unpaid back taxes – what penalties might I face?

The IRS has a few collection tools they can use against those who have tax deficiencies. A lien can be attached to your real and personal property, including bank accounts, alimony, and personal property. The IRS can also initiate a levy on your assets, which allows them to sell your property and keep the proceeds. Finally, the IRS can garnish your income and your tax refunds.

Can I appeal a decision made by the IRS?

Yes, you have the right to appeal a decision if you believe the IRS made an error.

Situations that might warrant an appeal include:

  • Tax deficiencies resulting from an audit or substitution for return
  • Denied installment agreements
  • Denied penalty abatements
  • Innocent spouse decisions

You can appeal decisions through the Collection Appeals Process – which hears cases quickly but prevents the taxpayer from appealing the decision in U.S. Tax Court – or the Collection Due Process, which takes longer but allows you to appeal to the U.S. Tax Court.

I have a bank account in a foreign country. Can I be penalized?

Recently, the Department of Justice has been more actively pursuing individuals who hold funds and assets in accounts outside of the U.S. If you are a foreign account holder, you could face penalties. We recommend discussing your situation with our tax attorneys so that we can assess what your best course of action may be. We can help you disclose foreign accounts while mitigating penalties and reducing your liability.

Why Choose Bucci Law Office for Your Tax Needs

  • Certified Public Accountant in OH & FL

  • Handles the Most Difficult Tax

  • Understands Tax Returns

  • Masters in Taxation

  • Over 50 Years of Collaborative Experience

  • Masters in International & Comparative Law

  • Recognized by Martindale-Hubbell, Super Lawyers & Avvo for Excellence