A Global Tax Law Firm

Are You Eligible For The Florida Homestead Exemption?

The Florida Constitution (F.C.) (Article 10, Sec. 4) protects homestead property from levy of creditors of the owner. The F.C. provides that homestead property should be liberally construed in favor of the homesteader against the creditor. The person claiming the homestead exemption must be a Florida resident who establishes that he or she made, or intends to make, the real property his or her permanent residence.

A permanent residence is the address listed on your driver's license, the place from which you register your cars, or file your income tax return or vote. If this property is not your permanent residence, or you are not a resident of Florida, you must notify the Property Appraiser. It is also important to note that only natural persons may claim homestead (not corporations or other like entities). If you are receiving a residency based exemption or benefit in another county, state or country; you are not eligible for exemption.

Homestead must be established before levy of the judgment creditor. However, homestead is subject to forced sales for property taxes, mortgages on the property, and mechanics liens arising from improvements of the property. Homestead inures to the benefit of the surviving spouse and minor children. Homestead consists of a ½ acre of contiguous land including a residence within a municipality. Outside of a municipality one may claim up to 160 contiguous acres. Homestead also protects personal property to the value of one thousand dollars.

If homestead is sold, the proceeds are considered to retain homestead exemption provided the owner has good faith intent to reinvest the proceeds in another homestead within a reasonable time. In other words, if you moved to a new home, the homestead exemption does not transfer automatically. To receive a new or additional exemption, you must make the application before March 1, of this year. If you have moved from another home within the state of Florida and you had homestead on your previous property, you may be eligible to bring your homestead savings with you.

To be eligible you must apply for and receive a homestead exemption on your new property within two years of leaving your previous homesteaded property and submit a (DR-501T) Homestead Assessment Difference form to the Property Appraiser's Office. However, it is important to note that if the homestead is abandoned, the protection may be forfeited.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  1. AVVO Client Choice
  2. AVVO Avvo Rating
  3. AV Preeminent
  4. BBB | Accredited Business BBB Rating: A+
  5. Rated by Super Lawyers | Christin M. Bucci | SuperLawyers.com
  6. ABA
  7. Florida institute of certified public accountants | CPA
  8. The Florida Bar | 1950
  9. Seal of the Supreme Court of the United States of America
  10. United States Tax Court
  11. The Ohio Society of CPAS | CPA
  12. AICP
  13. Avvo | Clients Choice  Award 2012 | Christin Marie Bucci | Five Stars
  14. Reviews | Five Stars | out of 16 reviews | Christin Marie Bucci | Avvo
  15. Avvo Rating 10.0 | Christin Marie Bucci | Top Attorney
Bucci Law Offices

Fort Lauderdale Office
2600 North Andrews Avenue
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311

Toll Free: 800-743-4263
Phone: 954-900-9107
Fax: 954-764-4401
Fort Lauderdale Law Office Map

Miami Beach Office
1130 Washington Avenue
3rd Floor, Suite B
Miami Beach, FL 33139

Toll Free: 800-743-4263
Phone: 305-340-2275
Miami Beach Law Office Map

Email Us For A Response

Get Help With Your Tax Matter

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy